Movie Review - The Woman in Black
"The Woman in Black" is about a young attorney, Arthur Kipps, whose job is to go through the legal documents of one of his recently deceased clients in a mysterious and gloomy mansion set on its own island. There he encounters a ghost whose horrible past not only spells doom for the inhabitants in the nearby town, but for Arthur as well. The character of Arthur Kipps is played by Daniel Radcliffe who starred in the "Harry Potter" series, it is directed by James Watkins (director of "Eden Lake") and written by Jane Goldman (writer of "X-Man: First Class"). "Woman in Black" is rated PG-13 for its suspense and disturbing images and runs for 96 minutes.
This movie is presented in the classic haunted house fashion, with many thrilling and suspenseful scenes as the filmmakers bring the ghost of the woman in black to life. Considering the intense themes of the movie as well as the era and dress of the character Arthur Kipps, it was very easy to separate Daniel Radcliffe from the character he played in the Harry Potter series and buy into his character in this movie. The psychological horror presented in this movie played with the idea of whether or not the ghost was real or if it was all in Arthur`s head.
The movie moves along at a sluggish pace, especially in the beginning. The thrilling and suspenseful scenes, considering the abundance of them in the movie, became a little redundant. Different types of suspense throughout the film would have been more enjoyable. The movie was also predictable if you are familiar with ghost stories, especially those told in this fashion.
Overall, this film was better than expected. It is a healthy departure from modern-day scary movies that depend on blood, gore, and body counts to be successful. Although a little slow and predictable, it is still fun and exciting to watch as you uncover the mystery of the ghost with Arthur. If anyone is looking for a good ghost story, this is the movie to watch.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Ledger News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LEDGER NEWS
RECENT THE LEDGER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”