Movie Review - The Woman in Black
"The Woman in Black" is about a young attorney, Arthur Kipps, whose job is to go through the legal documents of one of his recently deceased clients in a mysterious and gloomy mansion set on its own island. There he encounters a ghost whose horrible past not only spells doom for the inhabitants in the nearby town, but for Arthur as well. The character of Arthur Kipps is played by Daniel Radcliffe who starred in the "Harry Potter" series, it is directed by James Watkins (director of "Eden Lake") and written by Jane Goldman (writer of "X-Man: First Class"). "Woman in Black" is rated PG-13 for its suspense and disturbing images and runs for 96 minutes.
This movie is presented in the classic haunted house fashion, with many thrilling and suspenseful scenes as the filmmakers bring the ghost of the woman in black to life. Considering the intense themes of the movie as well as the era and dress of the character Arthur Kipps, it was very easy to separate Daniel Radcliffe from the character he played in the Harry Potter series and buy into his character in this movie. The psychological horror presented in this movie played with the idea of whether or not the ghost was real or if it was all in Arthur`s head.
The movie moves along at a sluggish pace, especially in the beginning. The thrilling and suspenseful scenes, considering the abundance of them in the movie, became a little redundant. Different types of suspense throughout the film would have been more enjoyable. The movie was also predictable if you are familiar with ghost stories, especially those told in this fashion.
Overall, this film was better than expected. It is a healthy departure from modern-day scary movies that depend on blood, gore, and body counts to be successful. Although a little slow and predictable, it is still fun and exciting to watch as you uncover the mystery of the ghost with Arthur. If anyone is looking for a good ghost story, this is the movie to watch.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Ledger News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LEDGER NEWS
RECENT THE LEDGER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists