Movie Review - The Woman in Black
"The Woman in Black" is about a young attorney, Arthur Kipps, whose job is to go through the legal documents of one of his recently deceased clients in a mysterious and gloomy mansion set on its own island. There he encounters a ghost whose horrible past not only spells doom for the inhabitants in the nearby town, but for Arthur as well. The character of Arthur Kipps is played by Daniel Radcliffe who starred in the "Harry Potter" series, it is directed by James Watkins (director of "Eden Lake") and written by Jane Goldman (writer of "X-Man: First Class"). "Woman in Black" is rated PG-13 for its suspense and disturbing images and runs for 96 minutes.
This movie is presented in the classic haunted house fashion, with many thrilling and suspenseful scenes as the filmmakers bring the ghost of the woman in black to life. Considering the intense themes of the movie as well as the era and dress of the character Arthur Kipps, it was very easy to separate Daniel Radcliffe from the character he played in the Harry Potter series and buy into his character in this movie. The psychological horror presented in this movie played with the idea of whether or not the ghost was real or if it was all in Arthur`s head.
The movie moves along at a sluggish pace, especially in the beginning. The thrilling and suspenseful scenes, considering the abundance of them in the movie, became a little redundant. Different types of suspense throughout the film would have been more enjoyable. The movie was also predictable if you are familiar with ghost stories, especially those told in this fashion.
Overall, this film was better than expected. It is a healthy departure from modern-day scary movies that depend on blood, gore, and body counts to be successful. Although a little slow and predictable, it is still fun and exciting to watch as you uncover the mystery of the ghost with Arthur. If anyone is looking for a good ghost story, this is the movie to watch.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Ledger News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LEDGER NEWS
RECENT THE LEDGER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge