As the presidential election looms ahead and the August GOP convention remains just around the corner, the battle for the Republican nomination continues to rage. That was, until Rick Santorum dropped out of the race last Tuesday. Before that the delegate count stood at Romney with 660, Santorum barely trailing second with 281, Gingrich with 135, and Paul with a hardly mentionable 51.
This situation begs the question of exactly how long one should stay in such a race.
When one considers that a candidate needs to reach that magic number of 1,144 votes to clinch the GOP nod, and with Romney already receiving 58 percent of the caucus and primary delegates so far, one wonders what Gingrich and Paul's purposes are and why.
Neither Gingrich nor Paul have shown any signs of lessening their campaign ambitions. As always, politics is a cutthroat game. It may very well come down to the last Hail Mary on the fourth down in the final minutes and it remains to be seen whose staying power will help them and whose will handicap them for future games. Whatever the case, the road to Tampa and the White House grows shorter with each passing day and history continues to prove that every vote counts. Make sure yours does.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Ledger News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LEDGER NEWS
RECENT THE LEDGER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy