As the presidential election looms ahead and the August GOP convention remains just around the corner, the battle for the Republican nomination continues to rage. That was, until Rick Santorum dropped out of the race last Tuesday. Before that the delegate count stood at Romney with 660, Santorum barely trailing second with 281, Gingrich with 135, and Paul with a hardly mentionable 51.
This situation begs the question of exactly how long one should stay in such a race.
When one considers that a candidate needs to reach that magic number of 1,144 votes to clinch the GOP nod, and with Romney already receiving 58 percent of the caucus and primary delegates so far, one wonders what Gingrich and Paul's purposes are and why.
Neither Gingrich nor Paul have shown any signs of lessening their campaign ambitions. As always, politics is a cutthroat game. It may very well come down to the last Hail Mary on the fourth down in the final minutes and it remains to be seen whose staying power will help them and whose will handicap them for future games. Whatever the case, the road to Tampa and the White House grows shorter with each passing day and history continues to prove that every vote counts. Make sure yours does.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Ledger News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LEDGER NEWS
RECENT THE LEDGER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!