As the presidential election looms ahead and the August GOP convention remains just around the corner, the battle for the Republican nomination continues to rage. That was, until Rick Santorum dropped out of the race last Tuesday. Before that the delegate count stood at Romney with 660, Santorum barely trailing second with 281, Gingrich with 135, and Paul with a hardly mentionable 51.
This situation begs the question of exactly how long one should stay in such a race.
When one considers that a candidate needs to reach that magic number of 1,144 votes to clinch the GOP nod, and with Romney already receiving 58 percent of the caucus and primary delegates so far, one wonders what Gingrich and Paul's purposes are and why.
Neither Gingrich nor Paul have shown any signs of lessening their campaign ambitions. As always, politics is a cutthroat game. It may very well come down to the last Hail Mary on the fourth down in the final minutes and it remains to be seen whose staying power will help them and whose will handicap them for future games. Whatever the case, the road to Tampa and the White House grows shorter with each passing day and history continues to prove that every vote counts. Make sure yours does.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Ledger News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE LEDGER NEWS
RECENT THE LEDGER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections